Frozen spinach is a time saver and I'm all about saving time in the kitchen. For most recipes, it needs to be thoroughly drained after thawing before using. If you're like me, you may have tried a variety methods to drain frozen spinach.
Methods I Tried
- I put the thawed spinach in a dishtowel to squeeze the water out. I was always left with a green stained towel with bits of spinach stuck to it. Yuck!
- I placed the spinach in a colander and used a spoon to press out the liquid. This worked ok, but I often ended up using a dishtowel anyway because it didn't get all the water out.
- I tried using a French press coffee maker which worked really well to drain the water. However, the spinach residue stuck in the plunger/filter mechanism was a pain to clean.
Imagine my surprise when my sister-in-law said, "Your going to laugh, but do you know what else I use my Rapid Slicer for?" And she went on to tell me how great it worked for draining frozen spinach. What?!? I knew this was genius and couldn't wait to try it.
Here's How it Worked
- I could fit a 10 oz. box of spinach in the base at one time.
- Placing the lid on top and pressing firmly drained the water completely and effortlessly.
- Clean up was so easy! No more green stained towels or colanders and filters with spinach stuck in the holes and crevices.
- Realizing that spinach is not the only veggie that requires draining before using in recipes, I went on to try shredded potatoes/sweet potatoes and grated zucchini. So good!
Shortly after being enlightened by my sister-in-law, I read a customer review who said she used the lid to cut large circles out of pie and cookie dough. Again, my brain was like "What?!?" Another genius ideas from a creative thinker. I was excited and knew that the circle is the perfect size for empanadas and sweet or savory mini pies. So of course I had to make spinach hand pies!☺
Can't wait to see what other ideas our Rapid Slicer fans come up with! What started as a simple tool to make it easier and safer to slice small round produce in half continues to evolve. One great tool...SO many uses!
ABOUT CINDY FOX
Owner of Rapid Slicer, LLC, Cindy loves being creative with food, coming up with ways to make food prep easier and spending time entertaining family and friends in her New England home.